Wednesday, 18 February 2009

Damp, Cold & MOLD

Yuk, Yuk, Yuk!!!! I am so tired of mold. I am up to my elbows in it. Can you believe I have to bleach the bathroom ceiling and bleach around the windows (all of them) because of this damp environment we live in. Yuk Yuk Yuk. AND if I was a better house keeper I would take a towel and wipe the condensation off the windows every morning - yea right, NOT! That seems like more of a waste of time to me than doing the 5 million dishes I seem to do everyday. So in the winter I probably get the bleach out once a month but I stare at it everyday and watch it grow back little by little and curse it when I can start to see it. This last time I decided to paint the bleach on with a paintbrush on the bathroom ceiling. It was pretty effective but boy did it make the room stink until it dried all the way (it took a few days).
I can't wait for spring and summer just so we can have the windows open and I can get a break from the mold.

1 comment:

Honey said...

Here is something I recently learned. Did you know that bleach does not effectively kill the roots of mold? It can in the case of a hard non-porous surface get rid of the mold for a short time, since the roots are not embedded into anything, but if you are trying to kill mold on something other than tile, like the ceiling (if it is not tile) you are in fact not really "killing" it just surface cleaning and releasing toxic bleach fumes into the air. (Bleach does not penetrate surfaces due to it's ionic structure), (also the main ingredient is water, so technically you are feeding the mold as well allowing it to grow back quicker and stronger) It is still there and able to release its toxins/spores which trigger allergies, etc... Scary, huh!