Saturday, 21 August 2010

We're back

We're back and here's the skinny...


Excellent trip, an overall success.
3 weeks driving, camping and hoteling France.
It was me, Mark and Emi since Megi was at her dad's for the summer. We missed her terribly but honestly, since she is a teenager now, she probably would have been bored. You know how that goes.
We went all over the place with no reservations and just a general idea of places to see.
We only had one real argument and considering it was 3 weeks in a car and camping in a foreign country where neither of us really speak the language, mapping, driving and parenting a three year old, I consider that a real success.
I had my worries that the French would be rude and not welcoming, I have been to Paris you know. But that wasn't the case at all. We came across the most pleasant people, beautiful cities, amazing architecture and great weather. There were about 2 weeks when I hardly had to put a sweater on. That was my goal, to escape the rain and use sunscreen everyday. It almost worked until the very end when we went north to Belgium and the torrential rain caused us to come home a day early.
What do I want to remember most, hmmm, I suppose it would be fresh bread and pastries every morning, being so relaxed together, sharing everything, playing with Emi and of course winning the gin rummy games in the evenings. We saw so many beautiful places, far to many for me to remember but I kept a little journal and bought a postcard from every place, almost, and took more pictures than I know what to do with.
I would love to share some with you, I will pick out my favorites and do a few entries so I can remember our trip a little longer.


This is an idea of where we went.  We took the ferry from Dover to Calais and then went southish.  Down to Poitiers then around Paris (neither of us wanted to venture into the city) and up to Belgium for Mark to visit the battle of Waterloo, then back around to Calais.  The places I have chosen to put on the map were either places we slept or places we visited or even just drove through.  I couldn't name them all.

There is still so much of the country to explore, we hope we can do it again someday!

1 comment:

MiMi said...

What an exciting trip. I'm proud of you for continuing to live life. Looking forward to pictures and blogs. Emi was a real tropper. What a beautiful place to wander. Glad you're home.